Saturday, March 10, 2012

Why the Blog?

Maybe you're thinking "Is this going to be another one of those blogs where parents post about how wonderful their kid is ad nauseum?" Well...yes and no. Ordinarily, I would be opposed to blogging exclusively about my children, lest they grow up to view themselves as the center of the universe. I mean, I'll post photos to FB every now and then, or share a funny quote from a toddler, but a blog dedicated to one of my children...that seems a bit over the top.

That is, until you consider the fact that one of my children is an endangered species. (Wait, is this one of those weird inter-species blogs?) No, my child is not some sea turtle off the shores of Costa Rica. My child has Down Syndrome, and 90% of pregnant women who find they are carrying a child with Down Syndrome choose to end the pregnancy. In other words, only ten percent of children like Julia ever get to see the light of day. I find this statistic to be devastating. Clearly, a bleak picture of life with Down Syndrome has been painted for these women. I want to paint a different picture. I want to share the joy of Julia.




For information on prenatal testing and abortion rates, click here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10521836?dopt=AbstractPlus

4 comments:

  1. Ana Lucia EscuderoMarch 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    Thank you, Katie! I had no idea the stats were so bleak. Good for you for sharing your sweet Julia's story. She's a cutie pie. I told you my uncle had Downs and he lived to the ripe old age of 58. He had the best smile that lit up any room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing this! Share the beauty of Julia and the joy that she is and brings with the entire world (or at least the interwebs...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I just happened to see a link to your blog on a friend's FB page right after crying my eyes out (in a good way) over this video created for our church's 50th Anniversary. I think I am supposed to share it with you ... its just beautiful. http://50years.mcleanbible.org/day-12/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kerri. That video was great! Amazing how God works...!

      Delete